Written by Craig Hanauer and Edited by Leah Kalish, MA
This 120 page manual and accompanying DVD give you everything you need to bring the many benefits of yoga and creative play to children with special needs, ages 3 – 12. The tools, techniques and activities included come directly from Craig’s many years of successful teaching at The Park School in NYC and at Kripalu Center in MA.
With this integration of yoga, creative arts and play, you can effectively help your special needs students or children increase strength, flexibility, balance, self-regulation, focus and concentration. It includes over 80 playful pose sequences, theme based musical routines, games, breathing exercises, and effective self-regulatory activities – most of which are demonstrated on the DVD for easy learning and implementation.
This is the ideal resources if you are working with “higher functioning” children with special needs, who are essentially “physically able” and:
- Are easily over-stimulated, impulsive and/or distractible
- Exhibit poor social skills and boundaries
- Are learning disabled/with an emphasis on speech and language based learning disabilities
- Are oppositional and/or disruptive
- Present with high or low muscle tone
- Present with anxiety, low self-confidence or low self-esteem
It is most helpful to those with a personal yoga practice who want to incorporate yoga into their work with children. Professional therapists will benefit from this manual by learning creative, developmentally appropriate, fun ways of engaging and supporting children with special needs in the practices of yoga.